My gaming habits have changed over the years, probably due to many factors including the amount of time I have to play in one sitting and the explosion of niche and indie games. Based on my Steam statistics, you can see this change happening.
I used to be much more involved in first-person shooters or other large game franchises. I still do enjoy them, but it seems I lose interest quicker now. On the other hand, I’m finding myself putting a lot more time into strategy and niche games, possibly even some games I would have openly mocked before.
Here is a quick overview of my total play time on some choice games based on my Steam stats:
- Dishonored: 41 minutes played (Granted, I did just buy it recently.)
- BioShock Infinite: 4 hours played
- Borderlands: 9 hours played
- Borderland 2: 11 hours played
- Crusader Kings II: 35 hours played (and I bought this one no more than 2 weeks ago.)
- Euro Truck Simulator 2: 42 hours played
- Sid Meier’s Civilization IV: 46 hours played
The list doesn’t include any non-Steam games, like Minecraft and The Sims series, but the pattern continues. My habits seems to be leaning towards more strategy and games I can easily jump into for a small chunk of time. Have you noticed a change in your gaming habits as you got older?